Hey, Quidco Member

Compare commercial property insurance

Compare commercial property insurance policies to find the right plan for you. Plus get £8 cashback on top*. Start saving on your business’ property today.

commercial property insurance
commercial property insurance

Compare a range of top providers to get a commercial property insurance quote

Get quotes

Spend some time entering details about your property. You’ll get access to a variety of quotes so that you can find the right one to suit your personal needs. 


Compare the UK’s most reputable policies and prices to find the right insurance plan for you.

Get paid

Choose a policy. Your cashback will be on its way and in your account in less than 60 days. 

Why get a commercial property insurance quote here?

By comparing different policies and insurance companies, Quidco Compare can help you find cheap commercial property insurance quotes. Simply work out the type of cover you need for your property, then use the comparison tool to get instant quotes and find the ideal commercial property insurance. 

What is commercial property insurance?

Also referred to as landlord business insurance - commercial property insurance is a specific insurance type that is taken out against a property that you use to operate a business from. Much like regular home insurance, this covers bricks and mortar, and the contents within, keeping your business' income and assets safe in the event of an accident. 

Do I need commercial property insurance?

You are legally required to have commercial property insurance against your business’ premises if you have a mortgage against it, just like you are required to have domestic home insurance for the same reason. 

However, if you own the building outright, then you are not legally required to have buildings insurance. It is worth having though, as it is a small price to pay should something happen out of your control which would require major repairs or even rebuilding the property. To do this outright can be very expensive.

Types of cover

Similar to domestic home insurance, there are three types of cover you can take out against your commercial properties, too. These include the following:

Buildings insurance

This protects the bricks and mortar of the property. Should something happen outside of your control, due to natural disaster or damage to internal systems such as a gas leak, then buildings insurance will cover any expenses. 

Contents insurance

Contents insurance protects everything that can be physically picked up and taken out of the property. If you operate from the premises and don’t rent it out, you should consider contents insurance to cover your assets in the event of a natural disaster or theft.  

Buildings and contents insurance

This cover is most recommended as it protects your buildings and contents due to damage, theft or natural disaster. 

What does it cover?

It is important to fully understand your policy when applying for commercial property insurance. As this is used every day by your staff and colleagues, or perhaps it’s rented out to a third party, you are required to make sure it is safe for use. Having the right insurance policy will help protect your buildings and content.  

Cover your property portfolio in one policy

If you’re a landlord with several buy-to-let properties, then you can combine your portfolio under the same insurance policy to save money and hassle. It is worth checking with your insurer when putting together a quote. 

Property owners' liability insurance

This cover protects you for any claims made against you in respect of damage to third party property or injury to third party persons, as a result of negligence relating to the property you are responsible for.

Loss of rent

If something happens out of your control which deems the property to be uninhabitable for a period of time, then this covers you for any loss of rent incurred during that period.

Commercial fire and theft insurance

This is an important type of cover to have, as some business premises are likely to be unoccupied for extended periods of time (evenings and possibly weekends). This cover provides protection against fire, electrical fire, arson and break-ins.

How much does commercial landlord insurance cost?

There are several factors that affect the price of an insurance quote for a commercial property, being aware of the exact cover you need is paramount for saving money. So it’s best to shop around to understand what you are paying for. 


If you are located in an area with a higher crime rate, then you are likely to pay a little more for your insurance premiums. Properties located in bigger cities like London or Manchester will too experience higher premiums. 

Construction materials

Properties built with non-combustible materials will usually get a lower quote for insurance because there’s less risk of fire damage. Be aware that contents can affect the premium, for example, furniture without fire-resistant coating.

Business use

An office building will probably cost a lot less than that of a restaurant or bar due to the public liability add-on. 


If you have a shared business space then you’ll most likely pay more for your premiums if one of them poses higher-risk. For example, if a restaurant space is shared within offices, then you’ll likely be paying more. 

Security measures

Added security on site will lower premiums. So consider having additional fire safety protection and security alarms. 

Types of properties that are considered commercial

There are several types of commercial property, which include:

  • Buy-to-let property 
  • Shops
  • Offices
  • Cafes and restaurants
  • Pubs and bars
  • Takeaways
  • Industrial 
  • Storage and distribution

How can I save money on my quote?

Only get the cover you need

If you’re a small business with an office in the countryside, it is unlikely you will need public liability insurance, however, you should double check before committing to a claim.

Provide the correct details

It is critical to be open and honest with your insurance provider; otherwise, if you have not declared something about your business, your claim may be rejected.

Pay annually

By paying annually for your cover, you will most likely pay less for your overall premiums.

Compare quotes with Quidco

When you compare at Quidco, you’ll not only see a range of policies and quotes, you can receive up to £28 in cashback, too!

What do I need to get a quote?

There are a number of factors that determine the price of the your policy, insurers will want to know the following information to gather a quote together: 

  • What type of trade or business is the commercial property used for.
  • If you have any employees, or if you use any temporary or contract labour.
  • The amount of protection you require for property owners' liability.
  • Any additional coverage you require, such as rental income protection (business interruption) or commercial vehicle insurance.
  • Your claim history, as well as whether or not you are involved in any ongoing disputes.

Some insurers will require some personal information too, so be sure to have this ready when putting in your details for a new quote.

Commercial property insurance FAQs

What does a commercial property insurance policy cover?

Commercial property insurance covers your business and its assets against damage, theft or natural disaster, and is an important policy to have in place in order to run operations seamlessly. 

What type of insurance do I need for a commercial building?

Typically, there are two types of cover which are buildings and contents, or the combined option. It is entirely up to the landlord what policy they choose to go with but it is recommended to get buildings as a minimum. As the cost of rebuilding a property can be extortionate with insurance.

How is commercial property insurance calculated?

Insurance premiums for commercial buildings are typically calculated by multiplying the value of the building and its contents by a value that corresponds to the level of risk. Property insurance prices are often higher for high-risk properties, whereas lower-risk properties are less expensive to cover.

What is not covered by commercial property insurance?

Damage from termites and insects, birds or rodents, rust, rot, mould, and regular wear and tear are not covered. Smog or smoke from industrial or agricultural operations is likewise not covered. If something is poorly constructed or has a hidden flaw, it is often excluded and will not be covered.

Do businesses have to have property insurance?

If you own a commercial property, you must protect it just as you would your house. At its most basic, this involves purchasing a business buildings insurance policy that will cover any damage to your premises in the case of a fire, flood, or other disaster.

However, it is not a legal requirement if you own the property outright - if you have a mortgage against the property, then your mortgage provider will require you to take out buildings insurance as a minimum before completion of sale. 

Can you get cover for unoccupied properties?

On a standard policy for fire, lightning, earthquake, and aircraft, some insurers can cover unoccupied premises for up to 30 days. Longer terms can be negotiated with specialised insurers. See unoccupied property insurance for more details.

Can you get cover for listed commercial buildings?

Yes, some insurers will provide cover for listed buildings, whilst it might be more expensive it is worth having in place in case of an incident.

What constitutes ‘accidental damage’ to a commercial property?

Accidental damage occurs as a result of an unintentional activity. It usually refers to one-time accidents that cause irreversible damage to flooring, walls, and windows. Normal 'wear and tear' damage, such as scratches on walls and floors, may not be covered.

Useful information

Please note: by clicking the “Get a quote” button, you consent to your details being transferred to up to five insurance providers. The insurance providers will contact you via telephone to discuss your policy.

Please note:

  • Cashback is only available for genuine quotes.
  • Cashback is limited to 3 quotes per person for each product per year. Abuse of this may lead to the termination of your Quidco account.
  • Any user found giving false details will have their Quidco account terminated.

When using the Compare service, you must take reasonable care to answer insurers questions fully and accurately and if you volunteer other information, you must take reasonable care to ensure that the information is not misleading. If any information that you have provided changes before you take out your insurance, during the life of the policy or at renewal you must inform the insurer or broker of the change. If you deliberately or carelessly misrepresent any information in relation to this insurance, then your policy may not pay all, or part, of a claim and could in certain circumstances be avoided altogether.

The comparison service for insurance accessed via Compare is provided by Quotezone, 100% independent UK insurance comparison. Quidco is a trading style of Maple Syrup Media Ltd, who are an Introducer Appointed Representative of Seopa Ltd, trading as Quotezone, who are authorised and regulated by the FCA, number 313860. Quotezone run and operate the insurance comparison service. By using this system you are agreeing to our terms and conditions & privacy policy.

*Cashback rates - £8 per valid commercial property insurance purchase.