Earn rewards on every night you stay+ up to 20% cashback

Book now

Compare buildings insurance

Compare cheap buildings insurance and get £28 cashback on your policy.

buildings insurance
buildings insurance

Compare over 100 providers to find cheap building insurance quotes

Get quotes

Enter some details about you and your home (doesn’t take long at all). We’ll do all the hard work, finding the quotes and prices that suit you.


Compare quotes from some of the UK's most reputable buildings insurers.

Get paid

Found the perfect buildings insurance for you? All you need to do is sit back and wait for your cashback to come in. Please note that it can take 8-10 weeks for the transaction to appear in your Quidco account, and your cashback paid up to 120 days.

Why compare buildings insurance with Quidco?

We are like any other comparison site: we find you our best buildings insurance deals from top providers. The difference? We give you cashback on top!

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance is one of the two main types of home insurance and covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding the structure of your property if it’s damaged or destroyed due to fire,

flooding or theft. Buildings insurance is often sold as part of a combined home insurance policy that also includes home contents insurance.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance will provide cover for the structural elements of your home, such as the roof, ceilings, walls, floors, windows and doors, along with permanent fittings such as your kitchen and bathroom. Depending on the policy, it could also cover outdoor constructions such as garages and fences, as well as patios, drains, pipes and cables.

You will usually be covered for loss or damage caused by:

Do I need buildings insurance?

If you’re buying a home with a mortgage

Buildings insurance will usually be a condition of the mortgage as the lender will require you to be covered to protect their investment.

You own your home outright

It’s up to you whether you take out buildings insurance, but it’s a good idea to buy cover to ensure you won’t be left out of pocket if your property is damaged.

If you’re a landlord

You are the owner of the building so it’s your responsibility to pay for any repairs – thus building insurance could be well worth having.

If you rent your home

You won’t usually need buildings insurance as it’s your landlord’s responsibility, but it’s still worth taking out contents or tenants' insurance.

If you’re a leaseholder

The owner of the freehold should already have buildings insurance in place. However, if you own the freehold, or a share of it, you’ll need to arrange your own cover.


Our expert says

“If you're buying a property, buildings insurance will usually be a condition of your mortgage offer. But that doesn't mean you have to buy cover from your lender's preferred insurer - instead, you could save a tidy sum of money by shopping around and finding your own policy.”

Rachel Wait, Personal Finance Journalist


How much does buildings insurance cost?

The cost of buildings insurance will depend on a number of factors such as:

  • the size of your property, including the number of bedrooms
  • its proximity to water
  • the materials used to build your home
  • the size of your excess
  • the number of claims made in the past five years
  • whether you have a no claims discount

How do I get cheap buildings insurance?

Compare and get cashback

A quick and easy way to find the best buildings insurance is to shop around and compare quotes – you could also earn up to £28 cashback.

Pay annually

Paying for your buildings insurance in one go each year will be cheaper than paying in monthly instalments. If you can’t afford to pay for your buildings insurance upfront, it could be worth considering a zero-interest purchase credit card to spread the cost interest-free over several months. 

Increase your voluntary excess

The excess is the amount you will need to pay towards the cost of any claim you make. Choosing a higher voluntary excess will reduce your premiums, but make sure you could still afford to pay it if you had to claim.

Combine buildings and contents insurance

Insurers will often give you a discount if you combine both buildings insurance and contents insurance on the same policy. 

Related guides

How to calculate home insurance costs

Confused about how your home insurance is calculated? Find out everything you need to know in this helpful guide. Read now

Flood insurance & how to protect your home if it’s a flood risk

If you live in a flood risk area, discover your insurance options and how you can prevent flood damage. Read now

Act of God insurance: the ultimate guide

Wondering if your home insurance covers you in the event of a natural disaster? Check out this guide. Read now


What does buildings insurance not cover?

Buildings insurance won’t typically cover you for the following:

  • General wear and tear
  • Wet rot, dry rot or frost damage
  • Damage by some pests, such as insects and birds
  • Bad workmanship

Loss or damage that occurs if you’ve left the property unoccupied for more than 30 or 60 days (depending on the policy) may also not be covered. If you plan to leave your property unoccupied for longer than this, be sure to let your home insurance provider know. 

How much should I insure my building for?

You will need to insure your property for the full amount it would cost to rebuild from the foundations up. This is called the sum insured and is usually lower than your home’s market value.  

It’s important to ensure your rebuild value estimate is as accurate as possible – the best way to do this is to get your home surveyed. You can also use the rebuild calculator provided by the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) of the Royal Institute of Surveyors (RICS). Keep in mind that if your home is a listed building, the cost of rebuilding it will be more expensive. 

What’s the difference between buildings insurance and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the actual building and structure of the property, while contents insurance covers your possessions inside the home, such as furniture, electrical goods, jewellery and clothes. 

Are there any optional extras?

To make your buildings insurance policy more comprehensive, you will usually have the option to bolt on the following: 

  • Accidental damage cover: providing cover if you accidentally drill through a pipe, for example
  • Legal expenses: covering costs and expenses in the event of legal disputes
  • Alternative accommodation: covering the cost of staying elsewhere if your home is uninhabitable due to damage 
  • Home emergency cover: providing cover for emergencies such as faulty electrics, burst pipes or blocked drains
  • Replacement locks and keys: covering the cost of fitting replacement locks to external doors if your keys are lost or stolen 

Do I need to take out buildings insurance through my mortgage provider?

Your mortgage provider is likely to insist that you buy buildings insurance before your mortgage offer can be finalised, but this doesn’t mean you have to buy it from their preferred insurer. Instead, it’s best to shop around to make sure you’re getting the right deal at the best price.  

Can I get buildings insurance in a flood-risk area?

Thanks to the government’s Flood Re scheme, you can still buy buildings insurance for your property if you live in a flood-risk area. However, it’s likely you’ll have to pay higher premiums to cover the increased risk. 

Will buildings insurance cover rising damp?

Most buildings insurance policies won’t cover you for damage caused by rising damp or for condensation. If you have signs of rising damp, it’s best to get them checked out by a professional and also inform your insurer.