first direct GA

£30 Bonus when you opt in and open a new current account

Opt in

Compare contents insurance

Compare contents insurance to a great quote on cover for your most precious and essential home goods.

And get £28 cashback, while you're at it!

Contents Insurance
Contents Insurance

Compare over 60 providers to find cheap contents insurance quotes

Get Quotes

First of all, we'll need the data for yourself, and your property, so we can go to work finding bargains for you.


Compare quotes from our panel of over 60 insurers, to get the cheapest, best value deals. The choice is yours.

Get Cashback

Comparing on contents insurance means you'll save money on your quote*. Not only that, we'll give you £28 for your custom.

Why compare with Quidco?

Searching for a great value deal on your home contents insurance with Quidco will give you access to a great range of over 60 insurers.

And, with a host of positive reviews on Trustpilot, you can rest assured that we have lots of happy customers.

Axa home contents insurance
Aviva Home Contents
More Than Contents Insurance
Swinton Content Insurance
Hastings Home Contents Insurance
Co Op Home Contents Insurance
Admiral logo

What is contents insurance?

Contents insurance is one of the two main types of home insurance and covers the cost of replacing your household contents if they are damaged, destroyed or stolen. Home contents insurance can be bought separately or as part of a combined home insurance policy that also includes building insurance.

How do I get cheap contents insurance?

Compare and get cashback

A quick and easy way to find the best contents insurance policy is to shop around and compare quotes – you could also earn up to £28 cashback. 

Pay annually

If you’re able to, paying for your contents insurance upfront each year will be cheaper than paying in monthly instalments. If you can’t afford to pay for your insurance in one go, it could be worth considering a zero-interest purchase credit card and spreading the cost interest-free over several months.

Improve your home’s security

Some home insurance providers factor in the security of your home when deciding prices. Simple steps such as installing deadlocks on your external doors and locks on accessible windows, as well as fitting a burglar alarm can help reduce the cost of your premiums.

Increase your voluntary excess

The excess is the amount you must pay towards the cost of any claim you make. By choosing to pay a higher voluntary excess, the cost of your premiums will be lower, but it’s important to make sure your excess would still be affordable.

Combine your contents insurance and buildings insurance

If you need to take out buildings insurance as well as contents cover, you may get a discount by combining them both on the same policy.

What does contents insurance cover?

Contents insurance covers everything you would take with you if you moved home, such as furniture, electrical goods, jewellery, and cash. It also usually includes carpets and can cover belongings in your garage or other outbuildings - though it pays to check your policy to be sure.

Most home insurance policies have limits on how much you can claim for each item, so you may need to list high-value items such as expensive gadgets, artwork or jewellery separately on your policy. Some insurers will also offer specialist high-value contents insurance for your valuables.

What does contents insurance not cover?

Contents insurance won’t typically cover you for the following:

  • Wear and tear related damage
  • Damage caused by pets
  • Theft through unforced entry – eg if you left a window unlocked
  • Lost possessions
  • Faulty workmanship

Do I need contents insurance?

Home contents insurance isn’t a legal requirement but it’s a good idea to have cover in place. Contents insurance can be valuable whether you’re a homeowner or you’re renting and will ensure you won’t be left out of pocket in the event your belongings were damaged, destroyed or stolen.

If you’re a landlord, your tenants will be responsible for insuring their possessions, but you may want to take out a separate landlord contents insurance policy to protect kitchen appliances, any furniture in the home, carpets, curtains, and so on. 

How do I work out how much contents cover I need?

To calculate how much your belongings are worth, go around each room in your home and add up the value of all your possessions. Make sure you factor in everything from high-value jewellery and gadgets, to clothes and carpets, to furniture and electrical goods. Keep in mind that your household insurance quote will partially be based on the value of your possessions so it’s important to be as accurate as possible and make sure you’re not underinsured.

Related guides

Contents insurance for renters

Wondering if you need contents insurance if you're a tenant? Check out this informative guide to help you decide. Read now

Working from home insurance

Does your standard home insurance policy cover you when working from home? Find out more in our latest guide. Read now

How to make a home insurance claim

Do you need to make a home insurance claim but not sure where to start? Follow this step-by-step guide to submit your claim. Read now

Contents insurance FAQs

Do I need additional contents insurance?

To make your contents insurance more comprehensive, you may want to consider paying a little extra to add the following to your policy:

  • Accidental damage cover: if your policy does not include this as standard, accidental damage cover protects you if you accidentally spill paint on the carpet or break the TV, for example
  • Home emergency cover: protecting you in the event of an emergency such as a burst pipe or boiler breakdown
  • Legal cover: covering costs and expenses in the event of legal disputes
  • Out of home cover: providing cover for items you take outside the home, such as your phone or laptop, if they are damaged or stolen

Does contents insurance cover bikes?

In most cases, bikes are not automatically covered under contents insurance and you’ll need to add them separately to your policy or look at bike insurance to ensure they are adequately protected. Depending on the value of your bike, you may need to list it as a high-value item and you’ll also need to specify whether you want to include cover away from the home.

What’s new-for-old home contents cover?

Most contents insurance policies offer new-for-old cover which means any items that are stolen or damaged will be replaced with brand-new items of equivalent value. Indemnity cover – or wear and tear cover – can be cheaper but will only cover you for the current value of your possessions and could be a false economy.

What is personal possessions cover?

Personal possessions cover protects portable items you would normally take with you when you leave the home. This could include your mobile phone, wallet or jewellery, for example. Some contents insurance policies will include personal possessions cover as standard, while others will require you to pay extra to bolt it on to your policy.In some cases, personal possessions cover will protect items you take abroad too, but this may be limited to certain countries only, so be sure to check.

What is a single item limit?

The single item limit is the maximum amount an insurer will pay out for any one item. It’s typically around £1,500 but can be higher or lower depending on the insurer. Any items worth more than this need to be named separately on your policy to ensure they are covered. 

Can I get a no-claims bonus on contents insurance?

Yes, if you don’t claim on your insurance during the 12-month term of your policy, you will be able to build up a no-claims bonus just as you can with car insurance.

Useful information

Please note: by clicking the "Get a quote" button, you consent to your details being used by the comparison partner and insurance quote providers. Don't worry, they won't call or email you.

When using the Compare service, you must take reasonable care to answer insurers' questions fully and accurately and if you volunteer other information, you must take reasonable care to ensure that the information is not misleading. If any information that you have provided changes before you take out your insurance, during the life of the policy or at renewal you must inform the insurer or broker of the change. If you deliberately or carelessly misrepresent any information in relation to this insurance, then your policy may not pay all, or part, of a claim and could in certain circumstances be avoided altogether.

Quidco is a trading style of Maple Syrup Media Ltd which is an appointed representative of Ltd t/a who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Maple Syrup Media Ltd is entered on the Financial Services Register under reference 808298 and registered in England and Wales, registration number 05498276, with its registered office at Moneysupermarket House, St. David’s Park, Ewloe, CH5 3UZ. Quidco is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you buy directly through us. By using this system, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions & privacy policy.