Great savings to be made with the spring savers + 4% cashback

Shop now

Compare flat insurance

Discover the best flat insurance quotes for you and claim £28 cashback on your policy. 

Compare flat insurance Quidco
Compare flat insurance Quidco

Compare over 100 providers to find cheap flat insurance quotes

Get quotes

Enter some details about you and your home (doesn’t take long at all). We’ll do all the hard work, finding the quotes and prices that suit you.


Compare quotes from some of the UK's most reputable flat insurance providers.

Get paid

Found the perfect flat insurance policy for you? All you need to do is sit back and wait for your cashback to come in. Please note that it can take 8-10 weeks for the transaction to appear in your Quidco account, and your cashback paid up to 120 days.

Why compare flat insurance with us?

Just like all the other comparison sites, we find you a range of flat insurance deals from top providers. The difference? We give you cashback on top! 

What is flat insurance?

Flat insurance is a type of insurance policy that provides cover for those living in flats. Just like standard home insurance, flat insurance is made up of two parts: buildings insurance and contents insurance. Whether or not you need both types of cover will depend on whether you own or rent your flat.

What are the different types of flat insurance?

Buildings insurance

This covers the structure of the property against damage caused by flooding, fire, theft and vandalism. It typically covers the walls, floors, ceilings, windows and doors, as well as permanent fixtures and fittings such as the kitchen and bathroom.

Contents insurance

This covers personal possessions inside the flat, such as furniture, electrical goods, jewellery and clothes, against damage or theft. If you need both buildings insurance and contents insurance, it usually works out cheaper to combine them on the same flat insurance policy. 

Do I need flat insurance if I am the freeholder?

Often the freehold of a flat is owned by the landlord and it will therefore be the landlord’s responsibility to insure the building. However, if you own the freehold yourself or you own a share of it, it will be up to you (and the other freeholders) to take out buildings insurance. 

If you share the freehold, it will usually be cheaper to take out a specialist policy to cover the whole building, rather than buying your own separate policies.

As part of your buildings insurance policy, you’ll need to consider whether it provides cover for:

  • communal areas and gardens
  • public liability claims
  • flats that are unoccupied for any length of time
  • home refurbishment by flat owners

Keep in mind that if you have a mortgage on the flat, your mortgage provider is likely to insist that you have buildings insurance as a condition of the loan. 

Additionally, it’s worth taking out contents insurance as part of your flat insurance policy to ensure you won’t be left out of pocket if your belongings were destroyed, damaged or stolen. 

Do I need flat insurance if I am the leaseholder?

If you own the leasehold on your flat, the landlord will own the freehold and will usually be responsible for insuring the building. You, as the leaseholder, will then contribute to the cost of this insurance policy through your service charge. 

But while buildings insurance will be taken care of, it’s still worth buying contents insurance yourself to protect your personal possessions in the event of fire or theft. 


Our expert says

“As with home insurance, flat insurance will ensure both the structure of the building you live in and the contents inside are protected against damage or theft. If you're a tenant or leaseholder you'll usually only need contents cover, while if you own part or all of the freehold, you'll need both buildings and contents insurance. To ensure you get the right level of cover at the right price, always shop around and compare quotes carefully. “

Rachel Wait, Personal Finance Journalist


How do I get cheap flat insurance?

Compare and get cashback

It’s quick and easy to find the best flat insurance policy by shopping around and comparing quotes – and you could earn up to £28 cashback using Quidco Compare at the same time.

Pay annually

If you can afford to, you’ll save money by paying for your flat insurance in one go each year rather than in monthly instalments. If this isn’t possible, consider using a zero interest purchase credit card to spread the cost interest-free over several months. 

Increase your voluntary excess

An easy way to lower your flat insurance premiums is to increase the voluntary excess – the amount you would have to pay in the event of any claim. The higher the excess the lower your premiums, but it’s important to ensure your excess would still be affordable.

Improve security

Home insurance providers often factor in the security of your home when deciding prices, so consider measures such as installing a burglar alarm, as well as fitting deadlocks to external doors and locks on accessible windows to reduce your premiums. 

Related guides

Contents insurance for renters explained

Are you renting a flat? Find out all you need to know about tenants and contents insurance in this handy guide. Read now

Protecting your home against accidental damage

In this guide, we discuss the benefits of accidental damage insurance and how to protect your home. Read now

Working from home insurance - everything you need to know

Working or running a business from home? In this article, we answer any questions about the insurance you need. Read now


Do I need flat insurance if I rent?

If you rent your flat rather than own it, it will be your landlord’s responsibility to arrange buildings insurance. However, you’ll still need contents insurance if you want to ensure that all your belongings in the flat are protected. 

Can I get insurance if I live in a shared flat?

If you live in a shared flat, you can either insure your own belongings individually or take out joint cover for the whole flat. Buying your own policy for only your possessions is usually the easiest option as a shared policy can result in chasing flatmates for payment and updating the policy each time someone moves out.

There’s also a higher risk that one of your flatmates could accidentally invalidate a shared policy – for example, if they leave a window open, leading to theft.

If you’re not sure which policy is best for you, it’s worth running quotes for both options to see which works out to be the better value. Be sure to tell your insurer that you’re sharing a flat.

Can I get insurance if I live in a flat above a shop?

That depends. If you live in the flat and also own the business, you may find it harder to get flat insurance as many insurers won’t provide cover for properties that are part residential and part commercial. This means you’ll likely need to take out a separate home insurance policy and business insurance policy for each. 

However, if you live in the flat above a business that you don’t own, you should find it easier to get cover. Just keep in mind you may pay higher premiums as there will be a higher risk of fire (for example, if it’s above a café or takeaway shop), and an increased security risk. 

Will my insurance cover a water leak?

Water leaks are a common problem in flats but claiming on insurance can be complicated. If you experience a water leak, your first step should be to stop it and establish what caused it. 

If you live in a block of flats where the flat owners are leaseholders, the freeholder will usually be responsible for the main pipes and you’ll need to make a claim against the freeholder’s building insurance for any structural damage. If any of your belongings were damaged in the leak, you’ll need to claim on your own contents insurance.