Hey, Quidco Member

Compare flood insurance

Find the best flood insurance for your property and claim £28 cashback on your policy. 

flood insurance
flood insurance

Compare over 100 providers to find cheap flood insurance quotes

Get quotes

Enter some details about you and your home (doesn’t take long at all). We’ll do all the hard work, finding the quotes and prices that suit you.


Compare quotes from some of the UK's most reputable buildings insurers.

Get paid

Found the perfect flood insurance policy? All you need to do is sit back and wait for your cashback to come in. Please note that it can take 8-10 weeks for the transaction to appear in your Quidco account, and your cashback paid up to 120 days.

Why compare flood insurance quotes with Quidco?

Just like all the other comparison sites, we find you flood insurance quotes from a range of top providers, to suit your needs. The difference? We give you cashback on top! 

What is flood insurance?

Flood insurance is often included as a standard part of your home insurance policy and will protect your home and its contents against flood water damage. If you live in a high-risk area, your home insurance provider may use the Flood Re scheme to help cover the cost. Flooding can occur as a result of a river or canal bursting its banks, seawater flooding due to storms or high tides, or heavy rainfall.

What does flood insurance cover?

Flood cover as part of your buildings insurance will typically cover the costs for:

  • Removing debris inside your home
  • Fees for services such as solicitors, surveyors and architects
  • Drying out, repairing and restoring your property, including fixtures
  • and fittings
  • Flood cover as part of your contents insurance will usually cover the cost of repairing or
  • restoring belongings in your home such as:
  • Carpets and furniture
  • Electrical goods and appliances
  • Personal possessions

Keep in mind that high-value items such as jewellery and gadgets need to be listed separately on your contents policy if they are worth more than the single item limit. Single item limits are typically around £1,500

What does flood insurance not cover?

Home insurance policies can vary when it comes to what’s included as standard and you may need to pay extra to include certain levels of cover. Therefore, you may not be covered for the following:

  • Alternative accommodation costs if your home becomes uninhabitable. Even if cover is provided, it’s important to check what level of cover you’ll have
  • Flooding that occurs as a result of a burst pipe or escape of water – this will come under a different section of your home insurance policy
  • Flood damage to fences, hedges and gates

How much does flood insurance cost?

As with any type of insurance policy, the price you pay for flood insurance will depend on a number of different factors. These include:

  • The materials used to build your home and your property’s rebuild value
  • Your home’s proximity to water and its flooding history
  • How much cover you require
  • Whether you need both contents and buildings insurance

The quickest and easiest way to find the best level of cover is to shop around and compare quotes. 

How do I make a claim on flood insurance?

Inform your insurer

It’s best to do this as soon as possible.

Gather evidence

Take photos or videos of the flood and damage caused and make a note of any details such as the time and date.

Leave everything where it is

It’s important not to move anything until you’re given the go ahead by your insurer.

Consider consulting a loss assessor

Your insurance provider may choose to appoint a loss assessor to help decide how much to pay out. Alternatively, you can pay to appoint one yourself.


Our expert says...

"If you're buying a property, buildings insurance will usually be a condition of your mortgage offer. But that doesn't mean you have to buy cover from your lender's preferred insurer - instead, you could save a tidy sum of money by shopping around and finding your own policy."

Rachel Wait, Personal Finance Journalist


Related guides

How to protect your home if it's a flood risk

Keep reading to find out more about flood insurance and how to protect your home if it's at risk of flooding. Read now

How to make a home insurance claim - a step-by-step guide

Has your home been flooded? Follow this in-depth guide on how to make a home insurance claim. Read now

How to protect your home from accidental damage

In this guide, we discuss the benefits of accidental damage insurance and how to protect your home. Read now


Can I get insurance if I live in a high-risk flood area?

Historically, it was often difficult or very expensive to get flood insurance in a high-risk area. However, thanks to the Flood Re scheme, which was set up as a joint initiative by the government and insurance industry in 2016, it’s now much easier and more affordable to buy flood cover. 

When you buy a home insurance policy, your insurer can choose to pass on the flood risk element to the Flood Re scheme for a fixed price. Then, if you make a valid claim for flooding, the insurer will pay the claim and will be reimbursed by Flood Re. Because this reduces the insurer’s financial risk, you’ll be able to benefit from cheaper cover.

Can I get cover if my home has flooded before?

Yes, you’ll still be able to get cover if your home has flooded in the past, but it’s likely you’ll pay more for your premiums. To ensure you’re getting the best possible deal, always shop around and compare quotes carefully. 

What is groundwater flooding?

Groundwater refers to rainwater that is absorbed by the soil and soaks into the rock below the surface. Once these rocks become saturated they form what’s known as a water table. 

After heavy rainfall, the water table will rise and this can prevent sewers and drainage systems from functioning properly, causing groundwater to emerge and cause flooding. 

Most home insurance providers won’t cover groundwater flooding, but it’s best to check with your insurer to be sure. 

How do I know if I live in a flood risk area?

The easiest way to check whether your home is in a flood risk area is to enter your postcode or location into the relevant flood risk map.

  • If you live in England or Wales, use the Gov.UK flood risk map
  • If you live in Scotland, use the map on the Scottish Environment Protection Agency website
  • If you live in Northern Ireland, use the map on the Department for Infrastructure website

Those living in England can also ask the Environmental Agency for additional information on the level of risk in the area where they live. 

Do tenants need flood insurance?

If you rent your home, your landlord will be responsible for taking out buildings insurance to provide cover for any structural damage to the property you live in. However, if you want to ensure your belongings are protected against flood damage it’s worth taking out your own contents insurance policy. 

How can I protect my home against flooding?

There are a number of steps you can take to protect your home against flooding: 

  • Keep gutters and drains free of debris
  • Replace carpeted and vinyl floors with ceramic tiles
  • Buy sandbags and air brick covers to stop flood water entering
  • Fit non-return valves on drains and pipes to avoid sewage flowing back through pipes from toilets and sinks
  • Place valuable items and important documents on a high shelf or upstairs
  • Raise household appliances and electrical goods on plinths
  • Move electrical sockets to above 1.5 metres on the wall
  • Sign up for flood warnings and join a flood action group

It’s also worth putting together an emergency kit including emergency phone numbers, batteries, a torch, a first aid kit, toiletries, blankets, non-perishable food and bottled water.