Earn rewards on every night you stay+ up to 20% cashback

Book now

Compare holiday home insurance

Save money on your holiday home insurance quote by browsing the best quotes available to you. Plus, get £2 cashback on top

holiday home insurance
holiday home insurance

Compare over 100 providers to get a cheap holiday home insurance quote

Get quotes

Enter some details about you and your home (doesn’t take long at all). We’ll do all the hard work, finding the quotes and prices that suit you.


Compare quotes from some of the UK's most reputable holiday home insurers.

Get paid

Found the perfect holiday home insurance for you? All you need to do is sit back and wait for your cashback to come in. Please note that it can take 8-10 weeks for the transaction to appear in your Quidco account, and your cashback paid up to 120 days.

Why compare holiday home insurance here?

Not only will you receive quotes from the best and most trusted insurers, you can also receive £2 cashback. Comparing at Quidco Compare helps you make an informed decision based on your situation so that your policy provides the benefits needed. You’ll make savings from comparing insurers, which can be supplemented with cashback.

What is holiday home insurance?

Whether it’s a place to go with the family on weekends or a holiday let, holiday properties and second homes are becoming increasingly popular across the country with roughly 10% of UK adults, or 5.2 million people, owning a second home.

Owning two properties or more is an excellent way to build up extra-income whilst having the opportunity to holiday in a different area of the country or overseas, without the hassle of booking accommodation.

What does holiday home insurance cover?

Holiday home insurance provides protection for your second property. Whether you let it out or use it as a place of refuge, insurance keeps the building and contents legally protected even when you’re not there.

What makes holiday home insurance different?

Insuring your holiday home is different to your main home, as the property you are insuring is likely to be vacant for a longer period of time throughout the year, making it a higher-risk home to insure.

Like regular home insurance, you can take out buildings and contents insurance to cover the foundations, outbuildings and your personal items. 

Do I need holiday home insurance?

Holiday home insurance is not a legal requirement in the UK. However, if you have a mortgage against the property then the mortgage lender will require you to have buildings insurance as a minimum. 

What if my property is overseas?

Insurers will provide policies for properties in most popular European countries, including France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. 

Whilst some insurers cover up to 40 different countries overseas, different insurers will offer cover for different countries. It is important to check if the country your holiday let is located in is on your insurer’s list before you agree to a quote. 

If your house, apartment, flat, cottage, chalet, villa, or static caravan suffers severe damage due to a natural disaster or a break-in, you may need emergency travel cover added to your policy. This cover allows you to claim back the cost of your return flight should you need to fly out to access the damage.

What protection does it offer?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to holiday home insurance but each policy will have different terms and conditions. It is therefore important you know what your policy covers before agreeing to anything.

What’s included

With the option of buildings, contents, or both; holiday home insurance, like regular home insurance, usually protects your property and possessions against loss or damage caused by:

What’s not included

Buildings insurance on a holiday home does not cover wear and tear, as well as routine repairs. It is important to make sure your insurance policy covers the cost of rebuilding your holiday home, including any outbuildings, pools, tennis courts, or hot tubs. If you don't insure for the full rebuilding value, your claim could risk being reduced.

Contents insurance on a holiday home typically covers personal belongings such as furniture, appliances and personal items. It is important to note that valuables or guests' possessions aren't typically covered in a standard policy. As well as this, breakdown of appliances isn’t covered and single items are only covered up to a certain amount.

Extra cover

Public liability insurance

If you’re letting out a property, you need to have this cover as it will protect you from any legal costs should anyone get injured whilst staying at your property

Employers liability insurance:

This cover protects potential employees you may have for a letting business. These could be cleaners, gardeners or management staff

Legal expenses cover

This covers any legal fees up to £50,000 should you have any disputes with tenants or holiday makers

Extended unoccupied periods

Most policies can cover your home while it is empty for longer than 30 or 60 days

Cover for properties abroad

Even if your property is overseas, when you buy holiday let insurance, some UK companies may still insure you

Emergency travel cover:

If you need to travel to your holiday let abroad, this covers any travel expenses if there has been an emergency you need to sort out. For example, external damage or a break in

How much does holiday home insurance cost?

Insurers consider holiday homes to be of higher-risk property as they are typically left unoccupied for more time throughout the year. 

The cost of holiday home insurance varies from each policyholder, however the deciding factors are a little different to regular home insurance. These include how many consecutive days in the year you occupy the property, how you and your family use it, and the level of cover you need. On average, an annual policy for your holiday home could cost:

What are the types of holiday home insurance policies?

Buildings only insurance

If you have a mortgage against your holiday property, you are required to have buildings insurance from the mortgage lender. Equally, it is smart to have buildings insurance even if you own the property outright, this cover protects you from accidental damage, including natural disasters such as floods, fires or storms

Contents only insurance

Contents only insurance allows you to protect your items within the holiday home in the event of theft, and loss or damage, including natural disasters. These include any appliances, furniture or personal items. 

Buildings and contents insurance

This protects the foundations of the property and the personal items within in the event of theft, and loss or damage, including natural disasters. By opting for this type of cover, you could potentially reduce the amount you pay on your monthly or annual insurance premiums.

How can I get cheap holiday home insurance?

Similar to regular homeowners insurance, there are ways you can keep premiums down on your holiday home insurance. First of all, paying an annual premium will be cheaper across the board. By paying the premium upfront, insurers are more likely to knock a percentage off of the interest rate. 

Other methods of keeping premiums down could include making your property more secure by installing cameras and gates; combining your buildings and contents insurance; and keeping up with maintenance and repairs.

What do I need to get holiday home insurance?

There are a few checklists you need to determine before you take out a policy against your holiday home in the UK. 

  • The type of policy cover you want; whether it’s buildings insurance, contents cover or both
  • Any add-ons you might need
  • Details about your holiday home
  • The total rebuild value of your holiday home

What factors affect your insurance quote?

Your premium is calculated by several factors relating to you, your home, the value of your items and the risk of loss and damage. 

  • Location: If there is a high crime rate or if the area is vulnerable to extreme weather conditions or subsidence resulting in more insurance claims
  • Size of your holiday home: If you own a large property in a tourist hotspot, the cost of rebuilding it would almost certainly increase your premiums
  • Flood risk: Because of the increased risk of flooding, homes near rivers, streams, canals, waterways, or the sea are usually more costly to insure
  • Your lifestyle: If you're away from your holiday property for long periods or if you have any or a pending criminal conviction
  • Value of your contents: The more valuable your possessions are, the more it would cost to replace them and insure them
  • Previous claims: Your previous claims history is taken into consideration

How do I make a claim?

Finding insurance for a holiday home isn't as straightforward as most people expect. 

If you were to buy a standard home insurance policy without letting the insurer know that it isn’t your main home, then this could cause a lot of hassle. Withholding vital information could lead to the insurer refusing to pay out in the event of a claim.

Should you need to make a claim, most insurance providers will have a helpline and a specific procedure in place - contact information will be available on the insurer’s website, and your policy documents. Typically, they require the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Address and postcode
  • Circumstances of the claim
  • Contact phone number
  • Your policy number 

Compare cheap holiday home insurance and get £20 cashback

By comparing different policies and insurance companies, Quidco Compare can provide cheap holiday home insurance quotes with up to £20 in cashback. Simply work out the type of cover you need for your holiday let, then use the comparison tool to get instant quotes and find the ideal holiday home insurance. 

Holiday home insurance FAQs

What insurance do I need for a holiday let?

As well as buildings and contents, public liability insurance protects you financially should someone get injured whilst staying at your property.

How does holiday home insurance work?

It’s an extra level of protection and peace of mind. Holiday home insurance looks after your property even when you’re not there. Should you need to travel to the property in the event of an incident, emergency travel cover could help you claim for a return flight. 

What does holiday home insurance cover?

Holiday home insurance, like regular home insurance, usually protects your property and possessions against loss or damage caused by theft, flood, storm, water escape, subsidence, or fire.

Do I need extra insurance for an Airbnb?

You will need public liability insurance if you wish to Airbnb your holiday property. This protects you financially should someone injure themselves whilst staying at your property and try to sue you as a result of negligence. 

Are there any countries I can’t insure a holiday home in?

If your holiday home is in a country that is more vulnerable to natural disasters, you might not be covered. Some insurers will cover homes in earthquake-prone or extreme-weather-prone countries, although there may be limitations.

Useful information

When using the Compare service, you must take reasonable care to answer insurers questions fully and accurately and if you volunteer other information, you must take reasonable care to ensure that the information is not misleading. If any information that you have provided changes before you take out your insurance, during the life of the policy or at renewal you must inform the insurer or broker of the change. If you deliberately or carelessly misrepresent any information in relation to this insurance, then your policy may not pay all, or part, of a claim and could in certain circumstances be avoided altogether.

The comparison service for holiday home insurance accessed via Compare is provided by Quotezone, 100% independent UK insurance comparison. Quidco is a trading style of Quidco Ltd, who are an Introducer Appointed Representative of Seopa Ltd, trading as Quotezone, who are authorised and regulated by the FCA, number 313860. Quotezone run and operate the insurance comparison service. By using this system you are agreeing to our terms and conditions & privacy policy.