Earn rewards on every night you stay+ up to 20% cashback

Book now

Compare unoccupied home insurance

Compare cheap quotes for unoccupied home insurance. Plus get £3 cashback on top

unoccupied home insurance
unoccupied home insurance

Compare over 100 providers to get a cheap unoccupied home insurance quotes

Get quotes

Enter some details about you and your home (doesn’t take long at all). We’ll do all the hard work, finding the quotes and prices that suit you.


Compare quotes from some of the UK's most reputable unoccupied home insurers.

Get paid

Found the perfect unoccupied home insurance for you? All you need to do is sit back and wait for your cashback to come in. Please note that it can take 8-10 weeks for the transaction to appear in your Quidco account, and your cashback paid up to 120 days.

Why compare unoccupied home insurance here?

By comparing insurance quotes with Quidco, you can find a plan that works for you and receive £3 in cashback while you compare.

We’re here to help you find a great insurance policy for your investment property or portfolio of properties. You can learn all you need to know on this page.

What is unoccupied home insurance?

There are a number of reasons why a house could be unoccupied, it could be you’re going on an extended holiday or business trip, or your second property is in between tenants, or simply, you’re not ready to sell yet. Whatever the reason for an unoccupied property, it is important to have unoccupied home insurance in place if the property is going to be left vacant for more than 30 days. 

Standard home insurance policies typically insure homes for vacant periods of up to 30 days - anything over that would require extra cover.

What does unoccupied home insurance cover?

Predominantly, an insurer will provide buildings insurance on an unoccupied property. This type of cover protects the home from any structural damage caused by natural disasters such as storm, flooding, or fire

Some homeowners only need buildings insurance, while others may require contents insurance for their unoccupied home. This covers anything that can be picked up and taken out of the property, for example, appliances, furniture, and personal items. 

Since there is no one to deal with a burst pipe or recognise a burglary, unoccupied properties are more vulnerable to theft and structural damage.

What makes unoccupied home insurance different?

Insuring your unoccupied home is different to your main home, as the property you are insuring is likely to be vacant for a longer period of time throughout the year, making it a higher-risk home to insure. Like regular home insurance, you can take out buildings and contents insurance to cover the foundations, outbuildings and any personal items. 

Do I need unoccupied home insurance?

Whilst there is no legal requirement to have unoccupied property insurance, you may find that a standard home insurance policy does not cover you in the event you need to make a claim. Standard home insurance policies usually protect your home if it is vacant for up to 30 days - anything after that would require a specific policy against unoccupied homes. 

What protection does it offer?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to unoccupied house insurance but each policy will have different terms and conditions. It is therefore important you know what your policy covers before agreeing to anything. Common claims for empty homes are usually caused by malicious damage, vandalism, and fire. Insurers protect unoccupied properties covering the building and any contents.

What’s included

Storm, flood, or fire damage

This covers you in the event of a natural disaster when you're away from home

Escape of water or oil

If a pipe bursts or if there is a leak in the house, this covers the cost should the damage be extensive

Theft and/or attempted theft

If someone breaks in or attempts to break into your property


If criminal damage occurs when you are absent

Legal expenses

If you need to pay legal fees to get squatters removed, trespassers removed, or for personal identity theft

Public liability insurance

This covers you if harm is caused by a property that you are liable for, such as a roof tile falling and breaking a car window

What’s not included

Insurance providers can refuse to pay a claim for the following reasons:

  • Major works: Some insurers may also refuse to cover incidents that occur during major home improvements, such as structural repairs or an extension to the property
  • Builders and contractors: You will not be covered for any damage caused by builders and contractors that work on your property when it is unoccupied. Anyone working on-site should have their own insurance to cover the costs of repairs
  • Unforced entry: Leaving your doors and windows unlocked or open would void your home insurance policy thieves and squatters could gain access to your home without forced entry

How much does unoccupied home insurance cost?

Generally, unoccupied home insurance can come at a higher cost as the property is at more risk of theft, and damage. 

Every property and every insurance provider is different, as with most insurance policies it is impossible to give an exact quote, but there are a number of factors that insurers take into account when putting together a quote for an unoccupied property. 

The amount that you’ll pay will depend on the area in which the property is located, the reasons why the property is empty, and several other factors. 

What factors affect your insurance quote?

Your premium is calculated by several factors relating to you, your home, the value of your items, and the risk of loss and damage. 

  • Security: Having adequate security such as; cameras, locks, alarms, and gates, will keep premiums down for an unoccupied property
  • Maintenance: If the property is not regularly maintained it becomes more susceptible to repairs, which will increase insurance premiums
  • Location: The quote will likely increase if the area is vulnerable to extreme weather conditions or subsidence, or if there is a high crime rate where the property is located
  • Flood risk: Because of the increased risk of flooding, homes near rivers, streams, canals, waterways, or the sea are usually more costly to insure
  • Value of property: The more valuable the property is, the more it would cost to insure it - the rebuilding cost of the property is taken into account too
  • Previous claims: Your previous claims history is taken into consideration

How can I get cheap unoccupied home insurance?

Getting insurance on an empty home can be more complicated as there are higher risks involved. A guaranteed way to get cheaper insurance premiums is to keep the property safe and regularly maintained.

Having reliable locks on windows and doors is an effective way to increase security. Another way of keeping the property safe is to install CCTV to monitor any unusual activity. You might also consider getting secure gates around the property with specific access points. 

Another method of keeping premiums to a minimum is to ensure everything is maintained, such as regular boiler checks and any repairs. 

Don’t store valuables and high-end items inside the property, as this makes it an increased risk of burglary - you may even need to take out contents insurance, pushing premiums up.

How do I make a claim?

Finding insurance for an unoccupied property isn't as straightforward as most people expect. 

If you were to buy a standard home insurance policy without letting the insurer know that it isn’t your main home, then this could cause a lot of hassle. Withholding vital information could lead to the insurer refusing to pay out in the event of a claim.

Should you need to make a claim, most insurance providers will have a helpline and a specific procedure in place - contact information will be available on the insurer’s website, and your policy documents. Typically, they require the following information:

  • Your full name
  • Address and postcode
  • Circumstances of the claim
  • Contact phone number
  • Your policy number 

Compare cheap unoccupied home insurance and get £3 cashback

By comparing different policies and insurance companies, Quidco can provide cheap unoccupied home insurance quotes with £3 cashback. Simply work out the type of cover you need for your property, then use the comparison tool to get instant quotes and find the ideal unoccupied home insurance. 

Unoccupied Home Insurance FAQs

Can you get insurance for an unoccupied house?

Yes. There are a number of insurers that provide standard unoccupied home insurance, so it’s best to look around for the right policy that matches your circumstances.

How much does it cost to insure an unoccupied house?

Unoccupied home insurance tends to be a bit more expensive than regular home insurance as it is considered to be a greater risk to theft and damage. It is therefore important to make sure you have made all the necessary adjustments to your home to keep premiums down i.e. having secure locks and maintaining regular checks on the property.

What is covered/not covered with unoccupied home insurance?

Standard unoccupied home insurance policies will cover you against: storm, flood, or fire damage; theft; vandalism; legal expenses and public liability insurance.

Typically it will not cover the cost of any damage done by contractual or building work, damage caused by major works on the property, and unforced entry by squatters or trespassers.

When should I get unoccupied home insurance?

Typical home insurance policies will allow your property to be vacant for up to 30 days - anything over that will require added cover - usually in the form of unoccupied home insurance.  

How long can you leave a house empty for?

You can leave a normal home empty for up to 30 days - anything over this then you will need extra cover.

Who is unoccupied home insurance for?

Unoccupied home insurance is beneficial for a variety of purposes, like selling an inherited property, a house in between tenancies, or a holiday home.

What happens if I don’t tell my insurance provider that the house is empty?

If you do not inform your current insurance provider that your home is empty, your provider will most likely refuse to pay a claim, and you will be responsible for the financial consequences.

Useful information

When using the Compare service, you must take reasonable care to answer insurers questions fully and accurately and if you volunteer other information, you must take reasonable care to ensure that the information is not misleading. If any information that you have provided changes before you take out your insurance, during the life of the policy or at renewal you must inform the insurer or broker of the change. If you deliberately or carelessly misrepresent any information in relation to this insurance, then your policy may not pay all, or part, of a claim and could in certain circumstances be avoided altogether.

The comparison service for unoccupied home insurance accessed via Compare is provided by Quotezone, 100% independent UK insurance comparison. Quidco is a trading style of Quidco Ltd, who are an Introducer Appointed Representative of Seopa Ltd, trading as Quotezone, who are authorised and regulated by the FCA, number 313860. Quotezone run and operate the insurance comparison service. By using this system you are agreeing to our terms and conditions & privacy policy.