25% off in the Earth Day clearance with our code + 1% cashback

Shop now

Compare moped and scooter insurance

Compare cheap moped and scooter insurance quotes and earn an extra £23 cashback.

Compare motorbike insurance illustration
Compare motorbike insurance illustration

Compare over 25 providers to find moped & scooter insurance

Get quotes

Enter your details (takes a couple of minutes) and leave the rest to us. We’ll show you our best prices. 


Compare prices from motorbike insurers you can trust, including Bikesure, Hastings Direct, and MCE. Make the price you pay cost even less.

Get paid

Choose a policy. Your cashback will be on its way and in your account in less than 60 days. 

Why use Compare instead of other comparison sites?

With us, not only can you save as much on your bike insurance as you can with other comparison sites, but you’ll get cashback on top. Make money while you save money.

Admiral insurance logo
AXA insurance logo
Hastings Direct insurance logo
AA insurance logo

What is the difference between a scooter and a moped?

It’s difficult to tell the difference between a scooter and a moped, especially when they look almost identical. But trust us, there is a way for you to tell the difference - the size of the engine. 

A moped is a bike that has a 50cc or less engine whilst a scooter has an engine size over 50cc, making it far faster and more powerful than a moped. It’s easy once you know!

What is scooter insurance?

Much like car insurance, scooter insurance offers you varying levels of protection when driving on the road. Types of motorcycle insurance policy can differ depending on what you want cover for.

For example, standard scooter insurance can cover you against accidents that affect other drivers on the road, whilst comprehensive insurance can protect you from theft, injury to yourself or to others and damage to your bike.

Different levels of cover

Third-party insurance

This insurance offers a basic cover, and is the minimum legal requirement of insurance that you must have to ride a scooter on UK roads. Third-party insurance covers you for damage caused to another vehicle on the road or someone’s property and injury to a fellow driver or passenger. This insurance does not cover you for damage to your bike and repairs, or any injury that you should sustain.

Third-party fire and theft (TPFT)

This insurance covers you for the same as a standard third-party insurance, but also offers you peace of mind with coverage for theft of your scooter or moped, any repairs you need and any fire damage.

Comprehensive insurance

If you want full cover, then the comprehensive insurance is definitely the one for you. With full protection for repairs and replacements of your bike, theft, damage to property and other vehicles, and injury caused in an accident, you can ride freely, safe in the knowledge that your insurance will cover you!

What you will need for a quote

In order to get an insurance quote, you’ll need to provide a couple of things: 

  • Your date of birth 
  • Your address
  • The type of vehicle you want to insure
  • How long you’ve been driving for 
  • If you have a no-claims bonus
  • How many insurance claims you’ve made in the past

Licencing rules and laws for driving mopeds and scooters

Before buying insurance for your scooter or moped, you must first be familiar with the licencing rules around riding them on UK roads: 

  • You can only drive a scooter aged 17 and over
  • You can only drive a moped aged 16 and over
  • You must complete and pass Compulsory Basic Training which allows you to ride for two years as a learner driver. Before these two years are up, you’ll need to pass a motorcycle theory and practical test in order to become a fully-qualified moped/scooter driver 
  • You will need to register your bike with the DVLA before riding it
  • You will need to pay tax on your bike (prices differ depending on the size of your bike’s engine)

Once you’ve completed all of these steps, you will then need to buy the legal minimum requirement of insurance, third-party insurance, in order to be legally allowed on UK roads. But be aware that this is the lowest coverage of insurance you can get which means you may have to ride extra carefully!


What is the average cost for scooter insurance?

Luckily for its riders, scooter insurance is one of the cheapest and most affordable motor insurances that you can buy. Prices will differ depending on the size of your bike engine, how long you’ve been driving for and how many miles you’ve driven. 

Statistically, those who buy third-party or third-party, fire and theft insurance are far more likely to claim than those on a comprehensive policy, so the premiums are higher. 

It’s important to say, however, that other factors also play a part in your insurance quote like your age, how many years of no claims bonus you have and how many accidents you’ve had in the past. For example, if you’ve made multiple insurance claims before, your insurance price will be higher than someone who has never claimed. 

How can I get cheap scooter insurance?

There are ways to get cheaper scooter insurance, especially if you do your research beforehand. Compare scooter insurance quotes at Quidco Compare as a starting point and try these other steps:

  • Try to keep a low mileage - insurance providers presume that the lower your mileage is, the less time you spend on the road meaning the less likely there is to be an accident or damage caused to your scooter/moped.
  • Make sure to keep your bike safe and secure at all times - never leave your bike in an unsafe location, or unlocked without an alarm, as this can go against your quote 
  • Pick a bike that has a smaller engine - these bikes are far cheaper to insure as they are considered to be less risky to ride and less likely to be involved in an accident

Do you need insurance for a 50cc moped?

Yes, you need insurance for any moped or scooter that you ride on UK roads. The minimum legal requirement for moped insurance is third-party insurance. If you think you’re going to be riding around town regularly, however, third-party insurance might not give you the full coverage that you need for your complete peace of mind.

Comprehensive coverage makes sure that you are covered for everything that could potentially go wrong, from accidents to others and to yourself, and for any damage to your property or others. This is a popular choice for moped beginner drivers, especially those who are less confident on the roads.

Do you need a licence to drive a moped?

Yes, you do need a licence to drive a moped. You must be at least 16 years old to get a moped licence and 17 years old to get a scooter licence. To apply for a moped licence, visit the DVLA website. 

What do I need to ride a scooter?

There’s a few things you need before you jump on your scooter and start riding across town. To make sure you’re compliant with UK motor laws, be sure that you have all of the following:

  • Making sure you have a valid scooter licence
  • Have a registered scooter with the DVLA 
  • Have insurance for your scooter (at least a third-party coverage)
  • Have your scooter approved as safe to drive on UK roads

Useful information

Please note: by clicking the "Get a quote" button, you consent to your details being used by the comparison partner and insurance quote providers. Don't worry they won't call or email though.

When using the Compare service, you must take reasonable care to answer insurers questions fully and accurately and if you volunteer other information, you must take reasonable care to ensure that the information is not misleading. If any information that you have provided changes before you take out your insurance, during the life of the policy or at renewal you must inform the insurer or broker of the change. If you deliberately or carelessly misrepresent any information in relation to this insurance, then your policy may not pay all, or part, of a claim and could in certain circumstances be avoided altogether.

The comparison service for bike insurance accessed via Compare is provided by Quotezone, 100% independent UK insurance comparison. Quidco is a trading style of Maple Syrup Media Ltd, who are an Introducer Appointed Representative of Seopa Ltd, trading as Quotezone, who are authorised and regulated by the FCA, number 313860. Quotezone run and operate the insurance comparison service. By using this system you are agreeing to our terms and conditions & privacy policy.