Compare home insurance

Compare cheap buildings and contents insurance; You could pay £129 or less for home insurance* and get £28 cashback.

Compare home insurance illustration
Compare home insurance illustration

Compare up to 62 providers to find cheap home insurance quotes

Get quotes

Enter some details about you and your home (doesn’t take long at all). We’ll do all the hard work, finding the quotes and prices that suit you.


Compare quotes from some of the UK’s most reputable home insurers, including Tesco, Admiral, esure and Churchill.

Get paid

Found the right home insurance for you? All you need to do is sit back and wait for your cashback to come in. Please note that it can take 8-10 weeks for the transaction to appear in your Quidco account, and your cashback paid up to 120 days.

Why use this comparison site?

We are like any other comparison site: we find you our best home insurance deals from top providers.

The difference? While other comparison sites keep the commission paid by insurers when you take out a policy, we give most of that money to you, keeping only a small percentage to ourselves. That's all there is to it, really.

Tesco logo
Admiral logo
esure logo
churchill logo

What details do I need to get a home insurance quote?

Details of your home

First and foremost, you’ll need to tell us (roughly) the date your home was built, the date you bought your home and the date you moved in.

The value of your belongings

You’ll need a rough cost of the possessions inside your home.

Security of your home

You will likely need to provide the type of locks on your doors that face outside. And the types of alarms you have fitted.

Any previous claims

You can find details of any previous claims in your renewal documents. Don’t have these to hand? Simply contact your previous insurer and they’ll provide them.

Your property rebuild costs

As it sounds, this is the estimated cost to rebuild your property if it were damaged beyond repair. The cost includes the price of materials and labour.

Details of your roof

We’ll need to know what materials your roof is built out of.

What home insurance do I need?

Home insurance is made up of two types: buildings insurance and contents insurance. You might need one or the other, or you might need both. Here’s how it works:

What’s the difference between buildings and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the actual building of your property. So structural elements like your roof, walls, floors, along with permanent fittings, such as your kitchen and bathroom. Buildings insurance covers you for things like floods, fires, vandalism, burst pipes, water damage… stuff that damages the actual building. Buildings insurance is often required under a mortgage contract.

Contents insurance covers the things inside of your building. These things usually include tech, jewellery, furniture, and clothes. With this kind of policy, you’re covered for damage and theft.

When to get both buildings and contents insurance

It’s best to take out both insurances when you own your home and you keep your things in it. In this situation you’ll want to be covered for both your building and the contents inside it, as you’re ultimately responsible for all of it.

The same goes for if you have a holiday home, where you don’t live all year round. You’re still responsible for it if you own it.

When to just get buildings insurance

If you own a property, but don’t have much of your own contents inside it, then just having buildings insurance could be for you.

This could be the case if you’re a landlord. You’re responsible for the building you own and lease. Your tenants are responsible for their contents. If you lease a furnished property, then you can cover your contents with landlord insurance.

When to just get contents insurance

If you live in a property but don’t own it, then you may want to get contents insurance. This will be the case if you’re renting.

Your landlord will be responsible for the actual building you’re living in, but you will be responsible for your own belongings in the case of them being damaged or stolen.

How do I get cheap home insurance?

Compare and get cashback

By comparing insurance quotes through Compare, you could find a great deal and earn £28 cashback.

Improve your home security

Some home insurers take into account the security of your home when deciding prices. Most providers need a minimum level of security before they insure your home at all.

Improve your home security by installing deadlocks on your external doors and locks on accessible windows. Getting a burglar alarm may also help make your insurance cheaper.

Pay annually (if you can)

Many people pay for their home insurance in monthly instalments. Although this will spread the cost out, it’s usually more expensive in the long run.

Not everyone can afford paying for a year’s worth of home insurance on go, though. You could consider taking out a zero interest loan and paying it with that. Paying back the loan could be cheaper than paying home insurance monthly.

Related guides

How to get a cheap home insurance quote

Insuring your home doesn't have to cost a fortune. Discover our top tips on how to get a cheap home insurance quote. Read now

Contents insurance for renters explained

Do you need contents insurance if you're a tenant renting a property? This guide explains everything you need to know. Read now

How to protect your home against accidental damage

Find out more about accidental damage cover and how to protect your home against accidents in this guide. Read now


Why do I need home insurance?

Unlike some insurances, such as car, home insurance is not a legal requirement. But it is a good idea to have, especially if you own your property. What’s more, if you’ve taken out a mortgage on your home, your lender may require you to have at least buildings insurance.

After all, a home is an expensive investment. We can try to keep it as safe as possible, but the risk of fires, floods and burglaries can do irreparable damage to the financial and sentimental value of your home if it’s not insured. And if it is damaged you may not be able to afford the repairs yourself.

What is an excess?

This is how much you agree to pay along with each claim. Increasing your excess can make your home insurance cheaper. Don’t go too wild when it comes to increasing your excess, though. You need to be able to afford your excess if you make a claim.

What does home insurance not cover?

While buildings insurance covers you for issues such as flooding, fires, and vandalism, it doesn’t usually cover you for wear-and-tear related damage, or acts of war or terrorism. Plus, if your home is unoccupied for more than 30 days in a year, your cover could be invalidated.

We recommend that you read your home insurance policy documents to see if there are any exclusions.

How much is home insurance?

Home insurance is made up of buildings insurance and contents insurance, so you’ll pay different prices depending on whether you pay for both of them or just one or the other.

Useful information

Please note: by clicking the "Get a quote" button, you consent to your details being used by the comparison partner and insurance quote providers. Don't worry, they won't call or email you.

When using the Compare service, you must take reasonable care to answer insurers' questions fully and accurately and if you volunteer other information, you must take reasonable care to ensure that the information is not misleading. If any information that you have provided changes before you take out your insurance, during the life of the policy or at renewal you must inform the insurer or broker of the change. If you deliberately or carelessly misrepresent any information in relation to this insurance, then your policy may not pay all, or part, of a claim and could in certain circumstances be avoided altogether.

Quidco is a trading style of Maple Syrup Media Ltd which is an appointed representative of Ltd t/a who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Maple Syrup Media Ltd is entered on the Financial Services Register under reference 808298 and registered in England and Wales, registration number 05498276, with its registered office at 76-80 Great Eastern Street, London EC2A 3JL. Quidco is an intermediary and receives a percentage of the commission if you buy directly through us. By using this system, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions & privacy policy.

*51% of customers received a quote of £129.12 or less for buildings and contents insurance in August 2021 when using Quidco Compare home insurance.